Monday 27 February 2012

Garlicky Parmesan Pull-Apart Bread


I have a love-hate relationship with carbs. I love them because they always manage to taste delicious, but I hate them because after I have eaten them, they like to just hang out around my middle section for an indefinite length of time. Usually my love for them overpowers the hate though, I just cannot resist. Thanks a lot carbs...thanks a lot..



I found this recipe at The Pastry Affair (for much nicer pictures, check out the link). Anyone who knows me really well, knows that I LOOOVEE garlic. I don't care if the garlic smell lingers forever, garlic wins over having company every time (maybe an exaggeration...but maybe not). In this recipe, you make layers of bread balls smothered in garlic butter, and then cover each layer with parmesan cheese. Delicious? Of course.

The recipe says to make three layers of bread balls but I only managed to get two really good layers out of the dough. I also ran out of garlic butter (surprise surprise) and needed to make a bit more, but you can just adjust the recipe as you see fit. Once this bad boy is done, just pull a piece off, dip it in some marinara sauce, and enjoy!

Garlicky Parmesan Pull-Apart Bread
Prep Time: 2.5hrs    Bake Time: 30mins     Yields one loaf

Ingredients:
2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 1/3 cups barely warm water
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons salt
3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (I used closer to a half cup)



Directions:
1) In a large bowl, stir together yeast and water and let sit for about 5 mins (mixture should look foamy). Add olive oil, salt, and flour. I like to add flour a little at a time and work it into the dough. Knead dough on a flat, lightly-floured surface for about 7-10 minutes, or until the dough feels elastic.
2) Transfer the kneaded dough into a lightly oiled bowl and cover with a clean kitchen towel. Let the dough rise for about 2 hours (should look doubled in size).
3) In a small bowl, combine melted butter, parsley flakes, and garlic. Set aside (Do this step nearer to the end of the 2 hours so that the butter doesn't harden and congeal).
4) After the 2 hours have passed, punch down the dough (I had NO idea what this meant, but here is a short tutorial). Tear off small pieces of dough, coat it in the butter mixture, and place it in a layer around the bottom of your bundt pan. Once you have finished the layer, sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
5) Make a second layer, and a third if you have the dough for it. Sprinkle parmesan on top of each new layer. Once all your dough is in the pan, cover it with a towel and let rise for about 30mins. Preheat oven to 350 F.
6) Bake bread for 25-30mins, or until bread is golden brown. Serve with marinara dipping sauce.




(Recipe adapted from The Pastry Affair)

No comments:

Post a Comment