Wednesday 7 March 2012

Chocolate Chip Squares


I think every family has a go-to dessert recipe that is a favorite among all. A recipe that is simple and easy to whip up, and that kids and adults alike can enjoy. For my family,  that recipe is chocolate chip squares. This was probably the first thing I ever learned how to bake on my own, and it's my default recipe to make when I don't feel like getting really invested in a new recipe, but am still having a baking craving. These do not last more than a couple days in my house because they are universally loved and eaten (inhaled) by all.



The thing I love about these squares is, not only are they incredibly easy to make, but they seem to have a much longer shelf-life than most cookies I have made before. I find that even the softest, moist cookie can get crunchy and stale pretty quick. These bad boys seem to stay perpetually soft and delicious. Let me warn you ahead though: YOU CANNOT EAT JUST ONE.

I honestly think it's impossible. They are truly addictive. And don't even get me started on the cookie dough. Just TRY keeping your hands out of THAT bowl...


I am really excited to be sharing this special family favorite recipe with you, and I hope you enjoy making them as much as I do. Just don't expect them to last in the house very long! :)


Chocolate Chip Squares
Bake Time: 20-25mins       Yields: 35-40 squares

Ingredients:
1 cup margarine
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
pinch of salt
1 pkg chocolate chips

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 9x13 baking pan.
2) Cream together the margarine, sugar, and egg until fluffy. Add the vanilla.
3) Mix in the flour, stirring thoroughly between each cup until completely combined. Be sure to scrape down the bowl occasionally.
4) Add in the chocolate chips. Press dough into the bottom of the prepared pan.
5) Bake for 20-25mins or until lightly browned. Place on a wire rack to cool. Cut the squares while the pan is still warm. Cool before you remove the squares from the pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment