Friday 27 April 2012

Brown Butter Malt Blondies


 I feel like I should be getting paid for this picture, it's TOTAL and COMPLETE product endorsement, but sadly no. I just thought it would make a good picture...and also I like Whoppers. Truthfully, this recipe called for malt balls, and my choices were Maltezers or Whoppers, and I just like Whoppers WAYYYY better.


Anyyywayyysss.....

I made these because I stocked up on malt powder after my epic journey to find malt powder. I knew when I bought it that I had other recipes in my stockpile that needed it and I did not want to have to venture out to find it again.



I decided it was time to put my malt where my mouth is and make another malt recipe....and I love Whoppers so that's another plus.

Everyone always says that blondies are like golden brownies. Usually, if I had to choose between the two, the chocoholic in me makes the choice for brownies. But the idea to put malt balls in these bars made them too good to pass up, and I HAD to try them out!


 They totally did NOT disappoint! The blondies were super chewy and delicious, but the malt balls added a little crunch to them that was unique. I loved them and so did everyone who ate them. You could definitely taste the malt and it really added a unique flavor that I liked.

I would say that this would be a great recipe to make if you're looking for something new and different to try. Plus, the recipe makes a ton so that's always good if you are planning to serve a lot of people!


Last Month: Bacon and Cheese Mashed Potatoes

Brown Butter Malt Blondies
Bake Time: 30mins      Makes: ~30 squares    
Ingredients:
3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 Tbsps malt powder
1/2 cup corn syrup
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups chopped malt balls

Directions:
1) Melt the butter in a medium saucepan, and add the walnuts while the butter is browning. Continue to heat the butter until it turns a slightly brown color (about 15 minutes). The walnuts will be toasting throughout this time.
2) Once the butter is browned, strain the nuts and chill the butter until firm but slightly soft. While the butter is chilling, spray a 9x13 pan with non-stick cooking spray, and line it with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350 F.
3) In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and malt powder.
4) In a separate bowl, beat together butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add corn syrup and eggs and beat until just combined. Add vanilla.
5) Add the flour mixture and stir until half combined. Add the chopped malt balls and mix until fully combined and malt balls are spread throughout.
6) Spread the mixture into the prepared pan. Bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
7) Let it cool in the pan, then cut into squares.


(Recipe adapted from Sweet Twist of Blogging)

2 comments:

  1. I have some malt in the freezer. Like you, it is not something I found easily! I do love malt and I wish the malt shops would come back and be the place to hang out, but I guess today it is Starbucks.
    Your bars look so moist and tasty, hard to resist! Great recipe and happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how dense and rich these look, and I know for sure that brown butter makes everything better!

    ReplyDelete