Monday 23 April 2012

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Fudge


There is this little convenience store near our cottage that we go to for quick grocery runs, but it also sells the most amazing fudge. Any time we stop in, my sister and I always go check out the fudge display to see what new flavors they have for sale.

Fudge is like kryptonite for the women in my family...we are powerless to resist it.


It's crazy but, if you can believe it, I have never made fudge on my own before. SHOCKING, I know! Usually it's my sister who always makes the fudge. The problem with that is that, instead of cutting it up into squares, she'll just leave the pan in the fridge so people can cut off as much as they want. Which is good and bad, because you can go to the fridge and say "oh, I only want a tiny little piece"

...though that method doesn't work too well if you go back to the fridge 10 times...


I was a little apprehensive about this recipe. It talked about the "soft-ball stage" which always confuses and scares me..I don't quite understand it so I just ignore it and focus on temperatures instead. 

I was a bit worried when, at one point, my fudge was a sheet of rock solid sugar...but I just kept calm and followed the recipe and everything turned out fantastic! This fudge was DEEEEELICIOUS and was completely gone in two days. I think those results speak for themselves!


Last Month: Decadent Chocolate Fudge Brownies

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Fudge
Prep time: 2hrs-Overnight         Yields: 20 pieces     (WW: 5pts per piece)
Ingredients:
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup milk
1 Tbsp light corn syrup
3/4 tsp coarse sea salt
2 Tbsps unsalted butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips

Directions:
1) Coat an 8x8 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
2) Add granulated sugar, brown sugar, cream, milk and corn syrup to a heavy saucepan, stirring to combine. Place over a medium heat, stirring often, until the mixture reaches 242 F on a candy thermometer (the "soft-ball stage" if you're comfortable with that). Once it has reached that temperature,  turn off heat and whisk in the salt, butter, vanilla, and flour until combined.
3) Transfer the mixture to a 9x13 pan and let cool until it reaches 110 F (around 10-15mins)
4) Use a spoon to scrape the mixture from the 9x13 pan into the bowl of an electric mixer. Beat the fudge at a medium speed for about 5 minutes, or until the fudge begins sticking together and holding it's shape.
5) Transfer the fudge into the prepared pan and press it into the bottom. Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top, and lightly press them into the fudge.
6) Put the dish into the fridge to chill for AT LEAST 2 hours, preferably over night.


(Recipe adapted from Tracey's Culinary Adventures)

2 comments:

  1. oh wow this fudge looks delicious I would love to have a grocery store near my apartment that sells fudge, but I am not that lucky!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never made fudge either but this looks easy enough (to make and eat). Love that you included the WW points!

    ReplyDelete