Monday 9 April 2012

Ginger Snaps


When I was about 12 years old, I got my first cookbook for my birthday. It was supposed to be aimed for kids who were learning who to cook and bake for themselves so the recipes are pretty easy. As I got "more advanced" (pshh not exactly) I sort of forgot about this cookbook, and it just sat on the kitchen shelves for years.

Over the weekend, I was trying to find something I wanted to make, and I suddenly remembered this cookbook! Now, I KNOW it is supposed to be recipes for kids, but there are some GOOD recipes in here!! I am definitely not too good for this recipe book, and now that I have re-discovered it, I will be using it all the time!



Now, usually I'm not a "crispy-cookie-lover" so when these came out really thin, I was a bit hesitant. I'm all about the soft and chewy cookie, so I had my fingers crossed when I took my first bite of ginger snap cookie.

And let me tell you, these did NOT disappoint! They were deliciously chewy and I am a little sad/happy to say, they got devoured by everyone in one day...cookies don't last long in my house!!


Last Month: Chocolate Chip Squares
                      Pizza Dip

Ginger Snaps
Baking Time: 7mins         Yields: 24 cookies       (WW: 3pts per cookie)
Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter
2/3 cup granulated sugar, more for sugar coating
1/4 cup mild molasses
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp salt

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 375 F.
2) Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add molasses and egg, stirring until well combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
3) Add flour, baking soda, ginger, and salt. Stir until completely combined, scraping down sides of the bowl.
4) Form the dough into one-inch balls. Roll them in sugar, coating them completely, and place them on an ungreased cookie sheet about 2-inches apart. Using the flat bottom of a drinking glass, flatten each dough ball until they are about a 1/4-inch thick. Bake for 7 minutes.
5) Remove from oven, let stand on pan for one minute. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.


(Recipe adapted from Company's Coming: Bag Lunches and After-School Snacks)


No comments:

Post a Comment