Thursday 19 April 2012

Pepper-Corn Crackers


This is another post about my adventures in growing up. Or rather, my adventures to expand my taste buds in attempt to force myself to like more foods.

Confusing, I know, but bear with me.

Today, I was trying to chose a recipe I wanted to make, but I was feeling lazy and didn't want to have to drive to the grocery store for ingredients. I was looking through the cupboards and fridge to see what we have....when I saw it. A nice, big red pepper. Just sitting there in the fridge, taunting me like "oooooooh bet you'll NEVER even THINK to put me in one of your recipes because you HATE me muahahaha"

And right away I knew what I had to do.



 So I searched through my recipes and found one that included red pepper, and had all ingredients that were actually in the kitchen. I was a bit hesitant, as I am with any recipe that includes red pepper (or any other colored pepper vegetable).

The result wasn't actually so bad! While they are not MY favorite, they would definitely be a good snack to take to school or work. They're small, the recipe makes a lot, and they're relatively healthy and easy to make.

All in all, not a bad step on my road to forced love of peppers!



Last Month: Tater Tot Casserole

Pepper-Corn Crackers
Bake Time: 15mins        Yields ~30-40 crackers
Ingredients:
3/4 cup flour
3 cups corn flakes cereal
1/4 tsp baking powder
2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 cup salted butter
1/2 cup red pepper, finely diced
paprika, for sprinkling

Directions:
1) Heat oven to 350 F.
2) Combine flour, corn flakes, and baking powder. Add cheese and mix together.
3) Using a pastry blender (Or your hands work well too) cut in the butter with the flour-cereal mixture. It should look crumbly, at which point you should work the dough with your hands until it begins sticking together better.
4) Shape the dough into 1-inch balls and place them on an ungreased baking sheet. Using a fork, press a crisscross shape onto the top of each ball, flattening them slightly (As you can see with mine, that is easier said than done)
5) Sprinkle crackers with paprika, and bake for 15 minutes, or until crackers are golden brown. Remove from oven, and transfer to a wire cooling rack. Cool completely.


(Recipe adapted from Company's Coming: Bag Lunches and After-School Snacks)

No comments:

Post a Comment