Monday 23 April 2012

Pistachio-Chocolate Shortbread Wedges


Alright, here we go again. Starting up another week and I don't know where the time is going! I feel like this month has zipped past me and I didn't even see it go by. I am moving into a new place at the beginning of May and now that exams are done I can start focusing on getting ready for that.

Unfortunately, I was under the weather for a lot of this weekend with a cold, but I won't let that slow me down this week! I have lots of recipes in store for you and I am really excited to share them.



 We are starting the week off on a sweet note. I was really wanting to make something out of my "chocolate book". It is a recipe book that my boyfriend got me a couple Christmases ago, obviously he knows me too well!

I loooooove pistachios so I was drawn to this recipe instantly. I thought at first that it was some sort of torte or chocolate pie, but it actually turned out to be a chocolate shortbread recipe. An unexpected but delightful and delicious surprise!


I wasn't entirely sure how to serve this when it was done. I thought maybe it was meant to be eaten on a plate with a fork, but we discovered that the easiest way to eat it was simply picking it up and eating it like a cookie! It can be easily cut and stored as pre-cut wedges, and my dad described it as a chocolate bomb.

Not sure if that's a good thing or not...

All in all, I enjoyed it, and the pistachios on top made it a sweet 'n salty combination that was just right!


Last Month: Beer Battered Onion Rings

Pistachio-Chocolate Shortbread Wedges
Bake Time: 25mins        Yields: 12-16 wedges
Ingredients:
THE SHORTBREAD
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temp.
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup cocoa
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg yolk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup flour

THE GLAZE
3 oz bittersweet OR semisweet chocolate, chopped
2 Tbsps unsalted butter
1/2 cup pistachios, coarsely chopped

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly grease the bottom of a 9-inch fluted tart pan.
2) In a medium bowl combine butter, sugar, cocoa, and salt and beat until well blended. Add egg yolk and vanilla and continue to beat until well combined. Add flour slowly and at a low speed. Continue to beat until the dough begins to clump together.
3) Pour dough into the prepared pan and press the dough into the bottom. Bake for 25 minutes.
4) Right before the shortbread comes out of the oven, start to make the glaze by melting the chocolate and butter together in a saucepan, stirring until smooth.
5) Transfer the shortbread to a wire cooling rack, and pour the glaze on top while still warm. Spread the glaze to about 1/2 an inch away from the edge of the sides. Sprinkle the pistachios over top and gently press them into the chocolate glaze. Let glaze and shortbread cool completely before serving.


(Recipe adapted from Absolutely Chocolate)

1 comment:

  1. wow this should be ilegal, because I won't have any control if you put this chocolate shortbread wedges in front of mwe!

    ReplyDelete