Wednesday 25 April 2012

Shepherd's Pie


Today, I have another family favorite recipe for you. This is a quick, go-to recipe that doesn't take long to prepare, is hearty and filling, and will be a meal that even the pickiest eaters will gobble up.

I started baking long before I started cooking and I have always said that I am a much better baker than I am a cook. This blog has been a good outlet for me to experiment with my cooking skills and I love the experiences I have been able to have so far!


This recipe for shepherd's pie was one of the first I mastered as a cook. Once I realized that you can't sustain yourself on just sweets (much as I may have tried in the past) I decided I needed to learn to make SOMETHING that wasn't a dessert. My mother suggested this, so I gave it a try, and I never looked back. It is one of my favorite home-cooked meals.


It's like your classic meat and potatoes meal, all together in one casserole dish. How much easier can it get?!  This dish is definitely comfort food, perfect for a cold winter's day, but also great for a quick summer's evening meal. This would also be a great option for a potluck (as long as plate's and cutlery were available :) !!)

I hope you enjoy it, and I can't wait to share more family classics with you!


Last Month: White Wine Sangria

Shepherd's Pie
Bake Time: 30mins     Yields: 8-10 servings
Ingredients:
1lb lean ground beef
1 onion chopped (or onion salt, to taste (to satisfy the picky eaters!))
2 Tbsps flour
2 Beef Bouillon cubes/packets
1 cup boiling water
1 cup frozen mixed veggies
salt and pepper, to taste
3 cup mashed potatoes (about 5 medium potatoes)
grated cheddar cheese, to garnish

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 375 F. Begin to cook the potatoes, cooking until tender.
2) Brown the beef in a large skillet. Once browned, drain the fat.
3) Add onions (or onion salt) and flour. Cook for 5 minutes.
4) Dissolve the beef bouillon in the water, and add to the meat along with frozen veggies, salt, and pepper.
5) Pour the meat mixture into a 1.5L-casserole dish. Top the meat with the mashed potatoes, spreading them evenly over the top. Garnish with grated cheese.
6) Bake for 30 minutes, or until the pie is bubbling. Serve warm.

1 comment: