Monday 16 April 2012

Smothered Steak and Smashed Potatoes


Whew, this weekend has been full of studying for me. I am so close to being finished with my exams, and my first university degree, but I still have to conquer one exam this week. I just cannot wait to be done!

The recipe I am posting today is one that I have wanted to make for a long while. I found it, and it looked delicious, but I just kept putting it off over and over again. I find that I bookmark a lot of great recipes, but because I have so many to choose from, I never get around to any of the ones that I have had at the top of my list for forever!



Last week I finally decided I needed to just take the plunge and make it, and it turned out great! It was a hit with everyone. Plus, it doesn't take a long time to make, so if you are looking for a quick and delicious meal, this is a definitely option for you.

The mashed potatoes were a nice touch too. The recipe calls them "smashed" potatoes, but I am not quite sure what makes them "smashed" as opposed to regular mashed. Regardless, they added a little something extra and were delicious.


I cannot wait for exams to be done, and I really hope that once I am finally finished, I will be able to bring you more great recipes.

Hope you have a great Monday and a good start to your week!!


Last Month: Homemade Peanut Butter Cups

Smothered Steak
Prep Time: 5-10 mins       Yields: 4-5 servings       (WW: 7pts per 4oz steak)
Ingredients:
3 Tbsps flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground pepper
4, 4-oz steak pieces
3/4 cup fat-free, low-sodium beef broth
2 tsps canola oil
cooking spray
3/4 cup onion, thinly sliced

Directions:
1) Combine the first three ingredients in a bowl. Dredge the steak pieces in the flour mixture, covering completely and shaking off excess. Save excess flour and whisk it together with the beef broth.
2) Heat canola oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add steak to pan and cook for about 3 minutes on each side, until brown. Remove from pan.
3) Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion to pan and saute until they are tender, about 5 minutes. Add broth mixture to skillet. Put steak pieces back into skillet with onions and broth and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat, simmering for about 7 minutes, until gravy thickens. Serve sauce over steak.

Smashed Potatoes:
Prep Time: 10 minutes     Yields 5-6 servings      (WW: 4pts per serving)
Ingredients:
1lb red potatoes (about 5 medium-large potatoes), peeled
1 cup nonfat buttermilk
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 Tbsps tzatziki
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground pepper

Directions:
1) Put potatoes in a single layer along the bottom of a microwave safe bowl (do not pierce potatoes with fork). Cover bowl with plastic wrap (do not let plastic wrap touch potatoes). Microwave on HIGH for 8 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
2) Add buttermilk, parmesan cheese, tzatziki, salt and pepper, mash potatoes until creamy.


(Recipe adapted from WeightWatchers Magazine March 25, 2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment