Thursday 3 May 2012

Chocolate Peanut Butter Sandwiches


One of my all-time favorite foods is peanut butter, but sadly my sister has a fairly serious peanut allergy. This means that we never have peanut butter in the house and I rarely get to satisfy my peanut butter fix. This also means that any time I am away from the house, or have the opportunity to bake elsewhere, I take full advantage of it and usually end up baking a peanut butter recipe. There are just so many good ones out there!

Well, now that I am happily settled in my apartment, the peanut butter fun can begin! And of course, knowing me, I've started with something pretty decadent and obviously unhealthy. Go big or go home, am I right?



I've had this recipe on the back-burner for a long time. I knew I would make it as soon as I got situated for the summer in the new place, and as soon as that time was here, I made sure not to waste another second getting started on these delicious treats!

They are kind of similar to my Homemade Peanut Butter Cups but the added graham cracker gives it a nice crunch as well. These are fun treats to make when you have a bit of time on your hands, as they are a bit time consuming but well worth it.

I am really excited about being able to share more peanut butter recipes throughout the summer. You'll begin to realize that I am equal parts chocoholic and peanut-butter-lover ;)

Last Month: Chocolate Chip Cookie Stuffed Cupcakes

Chocolate Peanut Butter Sandwiches
Prep Time: 30-40mins    Yields 12 sandwiches        (WW: 11 pts per sandwich)
Ingredients:
3 cups milk chocolate chips (The recipe calls for 3 cups but I ended up with extra chocolate so you could probably get away with 2 1/2 cups)
4 Tbsps shortening
12 graham cracker squares
2 cups smooth peanut butter

Directions:
1) Line a baking sheet with wax paper or parchment paper. Set aside.
2) Put chocolate chips and shortening in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on HIGH for 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until the chocolate chips and shortening are completed melted and smooth.
3) Dip the graham crackers one at a time into the chocolate, covering completely, and lay on the wax paper lined tray. Once all the graham crackers have been dipped, place the tray in the freezer for 10 minutes, or until the chocolate has set.
4) Spread 2 tablespoons of peanut butter on top of each chocolate covered graham cracker. Place the tray back in the freezer for 10 minutes, until the peanut butter is firm.
5) Remove the tray and, using a small spoon, scoop some of the thicker chocolate mixture on top of each cracker. Use a knife to smooth the chocolate over the top and side of each cracker. Once all the crackers are coated, place the tray back in the freezer for 10 minutes, or until chocolate is set. Use remaining chocolate to drizzle over the top of each sandwich.
6) Store the sandwiches in the fridge, as they tend to melt around room temperature.


(Recipe adapted from Picky Palate)

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I have nominated you for the following blog awards: Sunshine, Keativ Blogger and Versatile Blogger!! Stop by and check the rules!

    http://cakewithlove.me/2012/05/03/blog-awards/

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are lucky that we didn't have any family members that are suffering from nut allergy. Otherwise, we would miss out all these creamy goodness of peanut butter... especially from one of your peanut butter cookies.

    ReplyDelete